On January 31, 2020, an Expanded Meeting of the General Council of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly was held in the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation. Andrei Belyaninov, Secretary General of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly, moderated the meeting.
The meeting was attended by members of the General Council of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly, representatives of international interstate and non-governmental organizations, representatives of federal and regional authorities of the Russian Federation, experts, Journalists. The General Council of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly of Eurasian Peoples brought together citizens of more than 20 Eurasian countries.
The participants summed up the Assembly's activities for 2019 and outlined plans for 2020.
"2020 is the year of the 75th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War and World War II. All progressive humanity will celebrate this anniversary. And the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly being an international union of non-governmental organizations, created to strengthen peace and harmony on our planet, friendship between peoples, cannot stay away,"- said Andrey Belyaninov when opening the meeting of the General Council.
The Secretary General of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly also informed “2021, the term of the current composition of the General Council expires. We need to hold a General Assembly of all members, the General Assembly of the Eurasian Peoples. It is important to do everything possible, with the time we've got left, to expand our cooperation in the large Eurasian space. We need to choose the country where we host the General Assembly...”
The participants of the Expanded General Council Meeting were welcomed by:
- Iosif Diskin, Deputy Secretary General of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly, Chairman of the Civic Chamber Commission of the Russian Federation on the harmonization of inter-ethnic and inter-religious relations;
- Mr. Datla Bala Venkatesh Varma, Ambassador of the Republic of India to the Russian Federation;
- Konstantin Kosachev, Chairman of the Federation Council Committee of the Russian Federation for International Affairs;
- Leonid Slutsky, Chairman of the Committee on International Affairs of the State Duma of the Russian Federation, Chairman of the Board of the International public fund "Russian Peace Fundation";
- Ilya Timokhov, Acting Deputy Director of the Information and Press Department of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Dr. Jon-Hans Coetzer, UN Training and Research Institute.
The welcome address of Grigory Orjonikidze, Secretary-General of the Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO, was read out.
Svetlana Smirnova, First Deputy Secretary-General, Head of the General Secretariat of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly, informed the audience about the key results 2019 of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly and the activity plan of the Assembly for 2020.
The Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly develops cooperation not only with the countries of Greater Eurasia, but also with the regions of the Russian Federation. Last year, a cooperation agreement with the Bashkortostan government and a separate agreement on the first Eurasian Games “Eurasiada” were signed in Ufa. At the Expanded Meeting of the General Council, the Regulation on the Assembly’s Representation Office in the Republic of Bashkortostan was approved. First Deputy Prime Minister of the Government of the Republic of Bashkortostan and Special Representative of the President of the Republic of Bashkortostan for Investment Cooperation Andrei Nazarov took part in the work of the General Council. Andrei Nazarov told the members of the General Council and the guests of the Expanded Meeting about the Republic of Bashkortostan and its capabilities.
The participants in the Expanded Meeting of the General Council heard statements by:
- Svetozar Darnev, Chairman of the Audit Commission of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly; on the information of the Audit Commission of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly;
- Aleksandr Ageev, Deputy Secretary-General of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly, Chairman of the Expert Council of the Assembly; about the activities of the Expert Council of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly;
- Daria Saprynskaya, Chairman of the Coordinating Council of the Eurasian Youth Assembly, Deputy Head of the General Secretariat of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly on Youth Cooperation; about the activities of the Eurasian Youth Assembly.
The following speakers addressed the meeting:
- Alexandra Ochirova, member of the General Council Presidium of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly, member of the State Commission for UNESCO, UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador;
- Ivan Belekov, member of the State Duma Committee of the Russian Federation for CIS Affairs, Eurasian Integration and Relations with Compatriots;
- Askar Kiskembayev, Head of the Secretariat of the Member of the Board (Minister) on Economics and Financial Policy of the Eurasian Economic Commission;
- Stanislav Korolev, Deputy Secretary-General of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly;
- Mikhail Balykhin, Chairman of the Assembly’s Council on Science and Continuing Education, Rector of Moscow State University of Food Productions;
- Valery Ruzin, Chairman of the Assembly’s Council on Film and Video visualization of the cultural and historical space of Eurasia, President of the Eurasian Academy of Television and Radio;
- Anastasia Pavlova, Chairman of the Assembly’s Council on Eurasian Tourist Security, Head of the Tourism Committee of the BUSINESS Center for Economic Development of CIS countries.
The General Council of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly has re-elected the Co-Chairs of the General Council:
- Mr. Bernard Loze, Vice-President of the Franco-Russian Dialogue Association (France);
- Mr. Dalbir Singh, National Secretary of the Indian National Congress, President of Politics and Management Fund (India);
- Igor Khalevinsky, Chairman of the Council of the Association of Russian Diplomats (Russia).
The following Chairmen of the Councils were approved:
- Valery Yarov, Director General of the International Organizing Committee “Eurasiada” – Chairman of the Sports Council of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly;
- Rinat Goldu, Director-General of the Autonomous Non-Profit Organization "International Council for Economic Cooperation of Regions" – Chairman of the Council for International Economic Activities of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly;
- Sergey Alekseev, Chairman of the Committee on Environmental Management and Ecology of CCI the Russian Federation, member of the Presidium of the Russian National Committee for the Promotion of the UN Environment Program – Chairman of the Council on Ecology of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly;
The General Council of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly has decided to become a founding member of the Assembly “Mothers of the World”; to create standing Committees “Greater Eurasia – Africa” and the World Heritage Preservation Committee of N.K. Roerich.
Traditionally, at the Expanded Meeting of the General Council, the new members of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly were solemnly presented with membership Certificates.
Read more news about the events that took place during the Expanded Meeting of the General Council of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly: